Associate Director of DevelopmentCompany: Laguna Blanca School
Date Posted: September 28, 2017
The Associate Director of Development works directly with the Director of Development with primary responsibility of overseeing and managing the annual giving and special gifts programs. He/She provides strategic direction and long-range/short-range planning aimed at securing current-use unrestricted (Laguna Fund) contributions and special (designated) gifts, while supporting the broader development goals of Laguna Blanca School. This includes establishing goals and fundraising strategies, volunteer management, and creation of solicitation material for current-use gifts. The position reports to the Director of Development and works closely with all other members of the development and marketing teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage daily operations of the annual giving program.
• Develop and cultivate The Laguna Fund as measured by total dollars, percentage of participation in key constituent group, consistency of giving and average gift size.
• Write appeal letters and other communications to solicit gifts from all constituents; these include electronic solicitations, phonathons, and direct mail pieces.
• Enlist, train, supervise and motivate the Laguna Fund volunteers. Communicate proactively with volunteers regarding Laguna Fund progress, status of asks, and stewardship opportunities.
• Identify donors who have potential to make leadership gifts to the school beyond the scope of The Laguna Fund, and coordinate with the Director of Development on solicitation strategy and schedule.
• Collaborate with the Director of Development to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of reports; analyze annual giving results and reports.
• Plan and monitor the annual giving and alumni budgets.
• Provide regular reports on results and trends to Director of Development, Laguna Fund Co-chairs and committee, and Board development committee.
• Act as the primary staff liaison for the Alumni Council and work with alumni leaders to develop programs and events for alumni that foster support for The Laguna Fund.
•Plan and monitor the annual giving and alumni budgets.
• Engage constituents through social networking, e-newsletters, and coordinate content for the publications (including the school’s website).
• Organize opportunities to connect alumni with the school’s current programs and financial needs.
• Work collaboratively with the development team on other activities and events as needed and as directed by the Director of Development.
Donor Relations and Stewardship:
• Follow up with donors in a professional and timely manner.
• Assist with the preparation and production of Annual Report of Giving.
• Promote a culture of philanthropy at Laguna Blanca; further student, faculty, staff and alumni in understanding the role philanthropy plays in making Laguna great.
• Be an active and visible participant in the life of the Laguna Blanca School community.
• Four-year college degree is required.
• Successful experience leading an annual giving program, ideally at an independent school.
• Demonstrated organizational and communication skills as well as ability to work with and inspire volunteers and development colleagues.
• Experience with data segmentation and analysis; understanding of fundraising software (preferably Raiser’s Edge), gift processing and donor relations, social networking, and electronic marketing.
• Open and collaborative style.
• Ability to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism, and high achievement.
• Openness to new ideas and their implementation.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to provide prompt, courteous customer service; ability to listen carefully to and understand customers’ needs, both internally and externally, and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
• Excellent written and oralcommunication skills.
• Must be able to exercise good judgment and handle confidential matters with discretion.
• Must be willing to work some weekends and evenings.
For consideration, please email cover letter and resume to Sarah Lukenbill at email@example.com.