Development AssistantCompany: Hospice of Santa Barbara, Inc.
Date Posted: March 29, 2017
Hospice of Santa Barbara, Inc., the second oldest Hospice in the United States, is a unique and innovative organization that serves several hundred children and adults monthly who are either impacted by a life threatening illness or grieving the loss of a loved one. All of our services are provided free of charge. We receive no support from government or insurance agencies, and are dependent on the support of the community for all we do. We have a highly committed staff and foster a positive, collaborative, and creative work environment. We make a difference in the lives of hundreds of people every year and believe it is a privilege to be serving others.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
As Development Assistant for Hospice of Santa Barbara, you will provide administrative and operational support that facilitates the Development department’s efforts with fundraising, marketing and public relations. With your exceptional organization skills, you will keep the team on track with its many priorities and timelines, while also being a key contributor and influencer. This is a multi-faceted position where you will have the opportunity to build your development and marketing skills and further your career in these dynamic disciplines. Specifically, your essential duties and responsibilities will be as follows:
- Assist and support the Development team in the execution of the annual Development Plan.
- Develop and manage timelines for assigned fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Supports the Director of Strategic Advancement and CEO’s major gift work.
- Conduct research into donors’ giving potential.
- Cultivate and maintain favorable relationships for specified corporations as directed by the Director of Strategic Advancement.
- Assist in preparing materials for individual solicitations.
- Help identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization's fundraising priorities including working with wealth prospecting software.
- Works with the Planned Giving Services Officer and provides support for all planned giving activities including communications, materials, and events.
Gift Processing & Donor Recognition
- Maintain the donor database through accurate and prompt data entry of updated donor contact information, giving history, and areas of interest.
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
- Record and acknowledge donations within HSB timelines.
- Devise, manage, and help implement tailored and unique donor recognition activities beyond gift recognition letter.
- Develop a recognition and stewardship program for small to mid-level donors.
- Direct donations to intended campaigns and programs with Director of Strategic Advancement guidance.
Miscellaneous and administrative duties
- Support the Development & Marketing Coordinator in prepping for and implementing fundraising, stewardship, and social events.
- Maintain the overall development calendar.
- Gather pertinent information for use in Development Department reporting.
- Support and coordinate with the Development & Marketing Coordinator for all aspects of gift recognition and recording.
- Answer phone, direct calls, take messages, greet visitors in Reception as needed.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent business experience
- 1-2 years nonprofit development experience; Sales work experience would be helpful
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access
- Experience with donor databases helpful
- Technical savvy and ability to pick up new software applications
- Ability to read and interpret financial information
- Creative thinking skills; out of the box thinking
- Excellent writing skills
- Self starter who shows initiative
- Personable and comfortable networking and socializing with donor, staff members, members of the community and members of the Board of Directors
- Commitment to the internal standard by which we uphold professionalism, further the agency’s mission, and work cooperatively and collaboratively as a team
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not apply without your cover letter! We want to hear your voice as to why this career opportunity is of interest to you and why you believe HSB is the right choice for your next step!