Communications & Marketing SpecialistCompany: Museum of Ventura County
Date Posted: March 6, 2018
Job Title: Communications & Marketing Specialist
Department: Marketing and Advancement
Status: Unrepresented, non-exempt, regular, full-time (up to 40 hours per week)
Position Summary: The Communications & Marketing Specialist develops and manages the execution of the Museum’s marketing initiatives and programs, coordinates with other departments and outside vendors and agencies, gathers and prepares information and materials for use in advertising, branding, social networking, and general messaging of Museum activities, and promulgates as appropriate to the media and all audiences. The Communications & Marketing Specialist also insures that the Museum maintains a consistent image by implementing a multi-faceted marketing plan that includes press and community relations, social media, and website content management.
Working Conditions: Typical office environment to include: extended periods of working at a desk, including use of a computer. The position also will require occasional travel to conferences and meetings. Some activities may take place outside of regular business hours.
Reports to: Advancement Director
Supervises: This position supervises no employees directly and may supervise a limited number of volunteers and/or interns.
The Communications & Marketing Specialist is responsible for all marketing and outreach that continually communicates the scope and specifics of the Museum’s activities to the media and general public, including exhibits, events, programs, unique and special news, and fundraising initiatives and for the development, implementation, and enhancement of special events. Responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing marketing strategies for the Museum’s exhibits, programs and collections;
- Press relations and advertising, maintaining a consistent and positive image of the Museum in the community at all times;
- Maintaining a consistent visual branding of materials and publications;
- Preparing and disseminating: press releases, updates to social media, website and electronic blasts, promotional print mail pieces, electronic and print advertising, banners, flyers and posters;
- Managing institutional marketing effort through regular meetings and communication with staff;
- Developing collateral material for marketing, including, but not limited to the following: social media, print and electronic media ads, press releases, flyers, newsletters, website, brochures and banners.
- Managing the museum’s Wordpress-based website, performing all maintenance and updates, as well as managing all social media accounts.
- Developing, implementing and enhancing special events under the direction of the Programs Director or Advancement Director.
- Acting as liaison to community organizations in assisting and/or developing special events.
- Recruiting and training volunteers within the community to assist with programs and special events.
- Developing annual goals and objectives related to marketing.
- Contributing to and is accountable for the development and administration of the annual marketing and events budgets; monitoring and controlling marketing and events revenues and expenditures; researching, analyzing and developing cost estimates and justifications for budget recommendations; researching and pursuing possible revenue sources.
- Establishing relationships with local retailers and restaurants for leveraging efforts and maximizing support and involvement from the business community.
- Crafting and sending regular newsletters with museum updates.
Minimum Position Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Attitudes)
- Bachelors in Marketing, Communications, Museums, or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with word processing and other software programs.
- Strong organization, time management, teamwork and prioritization skills.
- Genuine enthusiasm for the services and mission of the Museum of Ventura County.
- Proven work experience as in Communications or similar field.
- Hands-on experience with web content management tools, WordPress experience required.
- Proficiency in MS Office and other software programs.
- Knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics.
- Experience with marketing campaigns on social media and general experience administering social media accounts.
- Proven experience in graphic design and design software such as InDesign, Photoshop, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated ability to work well with a diversity of people.
- Excellent presentation skills.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit their resume and a cover letter that meaningfully addresses their qualifications as they apply to the minimum requirements for the position. Applications can be made through Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Museum-of-Ventura-County/jobs