Deputy Director/Director of DevelopmentCompany: New West Symphony
Date Posted: March 20, 2018
Deputy Director/Director of Development
Reports to Executive Director
The position of Deputy Director has been created to streamline the operations of the organization and allow the organization to be more focused on patron relations whether they are donor relations or concert experiences. This position will mainly focus on fundraising to build the orchestra’s capacity for the future through the planning and implementation of all fundraising activities, including annual fund drives, corporate sponsorships, endowment, planned giving, grant applications, and new initiatives.
In this capacity, the director works closely with the executive director and the board of directors to determine goals and budgets for fundraising activities and to seek out additional funding opportunities. Establishes relationships with grant-making foundations and corporations, local and federal government agencies that provide arts funding, interacts with donors, business and community leaders in cultivation of new prospects, and supervises staff and volunteers in the execution of fund-raising initiatives. Requires familiarity with resources and current research in fundraising, excellent interpersonal skills, and an ability to lead the orchestra toward budgetary goals.
- Grant Writer
- Database and Patron Relations
- 20% of Harmony Project Director (grant writing)
- Operations Support Manager
- Development and communications interns
- Works with –
- General Manager
- Director of Marketing and Sales
- Box office
- Identify individuals, business, corporate and foundation prospects
- Cultivate individuals, business, corporate and foundation prospects and donors
- Solicit individuals, organizations, businesses, corporate and foundation donors for restricted, unrestricted and sponsorship gifts
- Develop and implement new fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with Executive Director and the board and set annual funding goals and monitor goals on a regular basis
- Steward donors and patrons
- Collaborate with board members and volunteers to increase donations and audience patrons
- Maintain dynamic and productive relationships with Board of Directors
- Staff Development Committee
- Supervise a contracted grant writer who will research, write and submit grant requests
- Identify foundation and government grant opportunities for the orchestra
- Supervise grant applications and requests, acknowledgment of gifts, and tendering of required reports
- Cultivate positive relationships with foundations and government agencies that support the arts
- Interacts with senior management and board members to identify prospects, and with civic leaders to forge positive partnerships
- Leverage the board and Executive Director to run major gifts program by identifying, cultivating and soliciting individual donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Cultivate corporate and foundation donors, increasing the orchestra’s potential to raise revenue through gifts and sponsorship of concerts, series, and special events.
- Work with senior management and board members to identify and solicit prospects, with marketing to develop sponsorship packages, and with all orchestra departments to guarantee compliance with sponsorship agreements and recognition in materials or at events.
- Plans and facilitates pre- and post-concert receptions, sponsored events, and special luncheons or dinners.
- Act as a liaison to special committees, orchestra volunteer groups, and staff involved.
- Responsible for expansion of the range of planned giving opportunities, while identifying and cultivating prospects
- Involves considerable personal interaction to design gift opportunities such as endowed orchestra chairs
- Develop and distribute collateral materials for patron – related and fundraising activities.
- Monitor and supervise distribution of email blasts and video messages
- Write and design development pages in playbill and on the website
- Prepare schedules and calendars for concert activities and events as they relate to patron development
- Manage online giving campaigns
- Oversee overall patron relations strategy for the orchestra
- Maintain ongoing contact with contributors, corporate sponsors, and business and community leaders.
- Support Board and staff efforts to solicit in-kind contributions.
- Attend other civic and cultural events in the community; represent the Association by speaking at public events as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to Maggi Messina at email@example.com
New West Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.